A beautiful bathroom is a luxury that should not be overlooked, but there are a number of mistakes in bathroom decoration that leave much to be desired. These flaws take your room from being a gorgeous, visually pleasing, and super practical room, to being a space you just want to get in and out of as quickly as possible, or a space that you are ashamed of when entertaining guests at home.
If your bathroom isn’t designed properly for your needs, it will quickly turn into a headache. However, many of the problems that bathroom décor mistakes create are easily solved without too much fuss, work, or money.
Let’s see what are the most common mistakes in bathroom decoration and discover below the simple and smart solutions that could quickly and easily revive your space:
- The first of the errors in the decoration of the bathroom is that, once finished, we have not left space for storage. Although bathrooms are usually small spaces, they require a lot of storage space, however, most people do not have adequate storage space for their needs, in order to allow their bathrooms to be as functional and uncluttered as they can be.
- Choosing a medicine cabinet that suits your needs is the first step, or if you are going to customize, it is worth planning to incorporate one of the modern suspended bathroom furniture that has enough storage space. Exploring built-in wall cabinets and shower shelves can also be an option for building the room from scratch.
- Many people keep their towels in their hot press, but if you don’t have that accessory, make sure you have enough storage for them. Also, adding robe hooks to the back of your door can be a small space solution that gives you a place to store wet towels to dry so you don’t have to rely on towel racks alone.
- There is nothing worse than a poorly lit bathroom, and lighting is one thing many people get wrong about. This is one of the worst mistakes in bathroom decoration. Many people forget that you need multiple light sources, so it is important to remember that you need decorative and work lighting. Obviously, a good source of natural light is a godsend, but if you only have a small window, there are many tricks you can use with your lighting to make sure it is adequately bright.
- Strategically placed overhead and sink lighting will work wonders, but if your bathroom is particularly poorly lit, don’t be afraid to add a well-chosen lamp to help. With bathroom lighting, it really comes down to what you use the space for. If your morning makeup is your top priority, add sconces or a lighted magnifying mirror, but if you’re more likely looking for a relaxing soak in the bathroom, dimmable ceiling lights would be a great option.
Too many finishes
- Considering that the bathroom is probably a smaller room, it can easily be overwhelming or cluttered if it features too many finishes and patterns. More than two finishes in a bathroom can seem strange, so try to pick your favorites and stick with them.
- Mixing metals is a big trend, but in a bathroom it could become too much, so try picking a metal and going with it, and maybe accenting it with little accessories if you really love the idea of mixing. If statement colors or patterns are your thing, use them wisely rather than putting them everywhere, to keep things unified.
Choosing slippery tiles
- You might love that cool decorative tile you’ve come across, but it might not be perfect for your floor. Be aware that your bathroom floor is very likely to get wet, and sometimes tiles that are not explicitly designed as tile can become extremely slippery when wet. Nothing looks good enough to pose a constant safety hazard, so when choosing tiles, make sure they are bathroom safe. If it’s too late for that, it can be fixed with slip-resistant treatments.
They forget the personality
The last of the mistakes in bathroom decoration has to do with personality. For whatever reason, people tend to forget to put their own stamp on their bathrooms. Like any other room in the house, bathrooms can also have personality.